Do UK TV's work in Oz?

Adjutant

We have 3 TV's all digital with inbuilt Freeview, but will these work in Australia ?

I'm not a tachnical person but I dont know if the different power supply, frequencies for transmission etc are compatable.

For any one has moved would you recommend taking TV's with us, or sell and buy new ones.

A simple question with a less than simple answer.

As Flybyknight says, power isn't an issue but the frequencies and TV system often are.

The UK and Aus are not compatible in analogue for digital (Freeview). Australia uses a mixture of VHF and UHF frequencies while the UK is UHF only and have chosen different transmission systems in both analogue (which is being phased out anyway) and digital.

However, many manufacturers make models which are multistandard so they can be sold in lots of different countries...these can sometimes sense the differences and adapt themselves to work in Aus.

If worst comes to worst, any UK set will work fine with the addition of some form of set top box...either a Foxtel/Austar subcription or an Australian Freeview one. If you have room to ship with no extra costs, you might as well bring them along and try them. S

The other thing you'll need to do is set your DVD to multi-region (if it's not already) so you can play local DVDs.

We got our instructions via google

Oh and we brought over our panasonic tv and it's fine - but it does only work via a separate digibox. DAB radios haven't been so lucky so I wouldn't bother with any of those.

:)

• 1 month later...

I am not technical at all either but yes UK tvs do work in OZ. You may be able to change the country setting to Australia, but if not (as I couldn't on my LG) then all you need to do is change the country setting to Germany, Spain, Italy or Switzerland (it may work with others too) as these all use VHF same as Australia rather than UHF as UK does. Then you will be able to pick up the Aussie digital channels (there are only 2 or 3 that I can't get the picture for). The sound quality is not as good but it's not too bad.You could buy a set top box but it's probably not worth it as you can still get the digital channels using the method I said above. Hope this helps.

Just for the record, it's not quite as simple as Scotts says.

All sets will work with a set top Freeview box or a subscription to Foxtel/Austar. However, it's luck of the draw whether your UK set will be able to adapt itself to receive Aus TV without the external box--and less likely with digital than the analogue signals which is becoming more important as the switchoff continues (our analogue disappeared a couple of months ago).

My normal advice is IF you're set is relatively new and in good condition and IF you can ship without extra costs (i.e. you have a container) then bring it. Otherwise it's probably not worth it.

(If you want the technicalities, I've posted the details many times before exactly what the problems/differences are. The TV systems are not compatible but, on many modern sets, there is software to make the necessary changes so manufacturers can sell the same model worldwide.)

• 3 years later...

Hi. We brought our Panasonic tv over. Plugged it into an aerial socket and changed tv region from UK to Ireland as there were no other options. Works perfectly on its own without a set top box.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't know if this is a stupid question or not but on taking your TVs to Australia did you just plug them in using an Australian Style Euro Adapter or did you change the plug (Again being stupid) is that easy to do ?

The most useful thing is to put an Aussie plug on a Uk powerboard. We now have our tv, dvd player and xbox plugged in to the powerboard. We have changed plugs on a number of appliances and this is easy too. Bunnings do them for around $4.

Archived